

Official Number: 106992
Pennant No: Y 3.591 / F 2801
Signal Letters: QKJS
Laid down:
Builder: John Readhead & Sons, West Yard, South Shields
Launched: 13 October 1898
Into Service: 4 April 1915
Out of service: 7 April 1919
Fate: Broken up February 1934
Items of historic interest involving this ship: –
Background Data: One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA
Career Data:
13 October 1898 launched by John Readhead & Sons, West Yard, South Shields as Yard Nr: 335 named TANTALLON for Maclean, Doughty & Co, West Hartlepool
15 October 1898 the Shields Daily News newspaper reported …

1898 register opened at West Hartlepool as Nr 25/1898 in the Register Book
December 1898 completed
1900 owners became W. Maclean & Co, West Hartlepool name unchanged
20 January 1900 sailed from the River Tyne for Cape Town
10 March 1901 at 48°N 38°W sailing west bound
13 September 1903 towed into West Dock, Cardiff by steam tug Nora having broken down off Ilfracombe
16 February 1905 arrived at Drogheda from Briton Ferry
17 February 1905 sailed from Drogheda for Runcorn
1914 owners restyled as Maclean Shipping Co Ltd (W. Maclean, Manager) West Hartlepool
14 April 1915 requisitioned for service as a Collier until 13 August 1915
14 August 1915 served as a Transport carrying sugar until 14 November 1915
15 November 1915 served as a Collier until 2 January 1916
19 March 1916 served as a Collier until 18 May 1916
28 July 1916 served as a Collier until 10 September 1916
November 1916 sold to Britain Steamship Co Ltd (Watts, Watts & Co Ltd, Managers) London and renamed DATCHET
20 November 1916 served as a Collier until 17 February 1917
11 December 1916 off pay voyage until 18 January 1917
18 February 1917 served as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying hay and to Cette / Salonika
ferry service until 21 July 1917
22 July 1917 served as a Collier until 7 April 1919
1927 sold to G,N, Pittas Bros & Co, Chios and renamed GEORGIOS PITTAS
8 January 1934 damaged in a collision with an unknown vessel
2 February 1934 arrived Newport, Mon for demolition



