Requisitioned Auxiliary – War Mango

Official Number:                      140658

Laid down:

Builder:                                    Cammell Laird & Co Ltd., Birkenhead

Pennant No:                  Y3.2359 / Y8.106

Launched:                               22 August 1918

Into Service:                            6 October 1918

Out of service:                         October 1919

Fate:                                          15 April 1961 broken up

 

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

 

Career Data:

 

 22 August 1918 launched by Wm. Gray (1918) Ltd., West Hartlepool as Yard Nr: 908 named War Mango for the Shipping Controller

September 1918 completed

6 October 1918 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Stores Carrier – name unchanged

26 January 1919 became a collier – name unchanged

8 April 1919 arrived Calcutta from Bari

October 1919 returned to her owners – name unchanged

26 October 1919 purchased by British India Steam Navigation Co Ltd., London and renamed Warcuta

5 February 1925 ran aground near Cape Comorin, was refloated and was towed to Colombo for repairs

October 1925 purchased by Chun Yung Zan, Shanghai and renamed Loong Hwa

1928 purchased by Moller & Co, Shanghai and renamed Isobel Moller

1935 owner restyled as Moller Line Ltd., Shanghai – name unchanged

1943 purchased by TC Munakalat Vekaleti Devlet Denizyollari Isletme UM, Istanbul (Turkish Ministry of Communications) and renamed Trabzon

1946 purchased by Adel M Hammad, Alexandria and renamed Tripoli

1948 owners became Cie Lebano-Syrienne de Nav Maritime, Beirut – name unchanged

1950 purchased by Faik Zeren, Istanbul and renamed Eregli

15 April 1961 arrived Piraeus for demolition by Sideremboriki