RFA Freshener


RFA Freshener



Subsequent name:

Official Number:                      168298

Class:                                    FRESH CLASS Water Carrier

Pennant No:                           X109

Laid down:                              6 November 1941
Builder:                                   Lytham Shipbuilding, Lytham

Launched:                              16 March 1942
Into Service:                            22 July 1942
Out of service:                        1971
Fate:                                      Stricken


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:   There were 14 vessels in this Class, designed by H.M. Dockyard, Devonport to the order of the RFA. The design was based on that of the earlier BLOSSOM and FOUNTAIN CLASSES but with an additional salvage and fire-fighting capability. They were originally operated by the Director of Victualling and were maintained at RN bases in the U.K. and Mediterranean where they were employed principally in replenishing warships’ freshwater supplies and also, from time to time, in fire fighting and salvage work. A total of 236 tons of fresh water could be carried in 6 tanks. Most of them saw only limited service under the RFA ensign, manned by RFA crews working under Board of Trade (Home Trade) Agreements, before being transferred to the control of the Captains of the Dockyards on Yard Craft Agreements. In 1959 they were brought under the authority of the newly-formed Port Auxiliary Service which in turn became the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. Originally all coal-fired, 4 of the Class were converted to oil-burning in 1961


22 February 1942 original launch date was delayed due to floating ice in Lytham Creek. Taken over from the Admiralty (Director of Stores) by the RFA

16 March 1942 launched by Lytham Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Lytham as Yard Nr: 869 named FRESHENER

6 July 1942  Captain Edward H O Herliky RFA appointed in command. He had previous served on RFA Polmont. Engineer Brian H C Goodman also appointed

Captain Edward H O Herliky


 22 July 1942 completed at a cost of £29,333.

24 July 1942 sailed Fleetwood to Town Quay, Birkenhead arriving the same day

28 July 1942 sailed Birkenhead to Kirkwall arriving 31 July 1942

17 November 1942 Mr T R Reed RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Offiver

6 March 1943 Captain Percy A Barfoot RFA appointed as Master


Captain Percy Barfoot

Captain Percy A Barfoot RFA


1943 – 1947 based at Kirwall and at Scapa Flow

8 September 1945 at Lyness

27 December 1945 at Leith Docks

4 January 1946 at Rosyth

7 March 1946 at Portsmouth

7 March 1946 ceased to be classed as an RFA and was taken over by the Director of Fuelling

1950 to 1960 based at Gibraltar

1961 was converted to oil fuel burning

1963 based at Gibraltar

1971 on the Disposal List. Fate unknown but reported sunk as a target