Requisitioned Auxiliaries – Killingholme




Official Number:                   132130

Laid down:

Builder:                               Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

Launched:                           24 February 1912

Into Service:                        21 February 1916 and May 1941

Out of service:                     21 April 1917 and March 1945

Fate:                                  Broken up July 1945 


Background Data:

One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 & WW2 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:


24 February 1912  launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull as Yard Nr 584 named  KILLINGHOLME for the Great Central Railway Co, Grimsby.

March 1912 completed as a double-ended Humber Ferry.

22 July 1912 was used by King George V and Queen Mary for the opening of Immingham Dock

21 February 1916  requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Fleet Messenger as HMS KILLINGHOLME. Along with her
sister HMS BROCKLESBY was also used as a seaplane carrier and was based at RNAS KILLINGHOLME in the
Humber Estuary
26 to 27 April 1916 believed mined and damaged off the Humber with the loss of 18 lives
21 April 1917 returned to her owners, name reverted to KILLINGHOLME
1 January 1923 transferred to London & North Eastern Railway Co, Grimsby name unchanged
May 1941 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Barrage Balloon Depot Ship in the River Humber, name unchanged
11 August 1941 Lieutenant Walter C Base RNR appointed in command
25 May 1942 Lieutenant Constantine J Triscott RNR appointed in command
March 1945 returned to her owners, name unchanged
30 July 1945 arrived Paull for demolition by J.R. Hepworth & Co