Requisitioned Auxiliaries – Kingswear

 

Kingswear 01

 

Official Number:                   124617

Laid down:

Builder:                                Wood, Skinner & Co Ltd, Bill Quay, Newcastle

Launched:                           23 March 1909

Into Service:                        23 November 1914

Out of service:                     24 March 1919

Fate:                                    Sunk, raised and broken up

Background Data:

One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

23 March 1909 launched by Wood, Skinner & Co Ltd, Bill Quay, Newcastle as Yard Nr: 158 named KINGSWEAR for Renwick, Wilton & Co Ltd., Dartmouth.

24 March 1909 the Lloyds List newspaper reported …

 

24 3 1909 Lloyds List Kingswear

 

April 1909 completed

21 February 1910 passed Dover

18 May 1910 arrived at Dartmouth from Portland

19 May 1910 sailed from Dartmouth for Newcastle

9 August 1910 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west bound

9 September 1910 sailed the River Tyne for Brest, France

18 November 1910 sailed the River Tyne

5 June 1911 at Antwerp Hospital Donkeyman William Nicholson discharged dead from a stroke

8 May 1912 arrived Blyth

22 June 1912 sailed Blyth for Dartmouth

28 August 1912 passed Dover

26 December 1912 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard

25 October 1914 at Scapa Flow alongside HMS FALMOUTH delivering 470 tons of bunker coal

 

HMS Falmouth 1914

HMS FALMOUTH

 

23 November 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Ammunition Carrier, name unchanged

24 March 1919 returned to her owners, name unchanged

1 April 1919 sailed the River Tyne for Rouen, France

1920  purchased by King & Co (Cardiff) Ltd, Dartmouth name unchanged

1926  purchased by John D Paleocrassas, Andros and renamed POLEMIS

26 May 1935 passed Gibraltar sailing west bound for Honfleur

1941  owners became Vichy French Govt, Marseilles and renamed MAURE

1943  owners became Mittelmeer Reederei GmbH, Germany name unchanged

15 March 1944 bombed and damaged by Allied aircraft

21 August 1944 scuttled at St Louis du Rhone

1949  was raised and broken up locally