Requisitioned Auxiliary – Abus

 No Image




Official No:                          136201

Builder:                        J P Rennoldson & Sons Ltd., South Shields

Launched:                    26 May 1914

Into Service:                 3 August 1916

Out of service:              1918

Fate:                           1 July 1955 broken up


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:


26 May 1914 launched by J P Rennoldson & Sons Ltd., South Shieds as Yard Nr: 290 named Abus for D Huntley & Sons Ltd., Hull

July 1914 completed

3 August 1916 requisitioned for Russian Government Service as a Transport in connection with the Murman Railway – name unchanged until 25 January 1918

26 January 1918 re-deployed as a collier

1922 purchased by John R Rix, Hull and renamed Norrix

5 June 1922 sailed Burntisland for Hull in ballast

4 January 1923 arrived at Montrose

6 January 1923 sailed from Montrose for the River Tyne

16 January 1926 arrived at Leith from Hull with a cargo of oilcake

1 December 1927 sailed Dundee for Boston with a cargo of potatoes

4 December 1928 arrived at Dundee from Leith in ballast

1930 purchased by Wilson Steamship Co Ltd., Whitehaven and renamed Cumbria

1 July 1955 arrived Troon for demolition by West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co

5 July 1955 demolition commenced

2 October 1955 demolition completed