Requisitioned Auxiliary – Achlibster

 No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official No:                          123151

Builder:                        Richardson, Duck & Co Ltd., Thornaby, Stockton

Launched:                    23 January 1906

Pennant No:                        Y 3.1648 / G 8012

Into Service:                7 August 1914

Out of service:             1918

Fate:                           1935 wrecked

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

23 January 1906 launched by Richardson, Duck & Co Ltd., Thornaby, Stockton as Yard Nr: 571 named Achlibster for Achlibster Steamship Co Ltd., (A H & E Gunn, Managers) Cardiff

27 January 1906 Lloyds List newspaper reported –

 

27 1 1906 LLOYDS lIST ACHLISTER

 

March 1906 completed

3 March 1911 arrived at Hull from Bombay

13 December 1912 arrived at Sydney, NSW from Columbia

18 April 1913 arrived at Cardiff, Wales from Melbourne

15 October 1913 sailed Newcastle, NSW for Bombay

17 July 1914 arrived Suez when on passage to Copenhagen

7 August 1914 requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as an Expeditionary Force Transport – name unchanged – all payments were made to Alexander Howden & Co. Until 3 October 1914

10 December 1914 arrived at San Francisco from the River Clyde

14 March 1915 arrived at Hull from San Francisco

21 August 1915 arrived at Philadelphia from Huelva, Spain

27 January 1916 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying timber and was the temporarily released on 1 November 1916

16 February 1916 arrived at Newport Nedws from Genoa

14 June 1917 re-deployed as a Collier until 19 April 1918

21 August 1917 at Salonika with HMS COLNE alongside. Supplied her with 57 tons of bunker coal

25 August 1917 at Salonika with HMS COLNE alongside. Supplied her with 52 tons of bunker coal

4 September 1917 at Salonika with HMS COLNE alongside. Supplied her with 50 tons of bunker coal

20 April 1918 re-deployed as a Collier until 29 August 1918

30 August 1918 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying stores from Alexandria to Kantara and finally sugar from Java

10 October 1919 arrived at Aden from Saigon

1919 purchased by Globe Shipping Co Ltd., (Humphries (Cardiff) Ltd., Managers) Cardiff and renamed Globefield

1927 purchased by Britain Steamship Co Ltd., (Watts & Co., Managers) London and renamed Hampstead

1929 owners became Watts Shipping Co Ltd., London – name unchanged

1930 purchased by Nicolas A Cottakis, Andros and renamed Alecos

22 June 1935 wrecked 0.5 miles N Cape Veo, E of Cape Villano, Spain while on passage from Barry, Wales to Bahia Blanca with a cargo of coal