
From Rick Cox Collection – copyright unknown

From Rick Cox Collection – copyright unknown

World War 1 as a Store Carrier under the White Ensign
Official Number: 124059
Pennant No: Y4.76
Builder: Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon
Launched: 2 March 1907
Fate: September 1967 broken up
Items of historic interest involving this ship: –
Background Data: One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 & WW2 to augment the ships of the RFA
2 March 1907 launched by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon as Yard Nr 171 named AQUILLA for Zillah Shipping & Carrying Co Ltd (Wm A Savage, Managers) Liverpool
4 March 1907 the Scotsman newspaper reported –

13 April 1907 completed
31 October 1907 arrived at Dublin from Garston
3 January 1914 arrived Liverpool from Las Palmas
20 November 1915 requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as an Expeditionary Force Transport, name unchanged to the 15 December 1915
16 December 1915 redeployed as a Timber Transport (Collier) for the Office of Works until 11 February 1916
12 February 1916 redeployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying Naval Stores at Dover then from Rochester to France. Subsequently carrying Railway material and then road material until 29 January 1918
30 January 1918 redeployed as a collier carrying Military house coal and then subsequently as a Commissioned Fleet Messenger vessel
1 May 1918 Lieutenant Max W Cooksey RNR appointed in command
15 April 1919 Lieutenant William N H Robinson RNR appointed in command
4 November 1919 at Plymouth berthed on Corporation Wharf discharged cable. Lieutenant Commander H H Lowe RNR was commanding officer. Between 4 November 1919 and 14 November 1919 she discharged 47 miles 1,585 yards of cable.
15 November 1919 was moved to No 10 Coal Wharf and loaded with 60 tons of bunker coal. Sailed Plymouth to Dover arriving on 16 November 1919.
17 November 1919 sailed Dover to Smiths Dock, South Bank, Middlesborough for a refit
20 November 1919 loaded 50 tons of bunker coal
28 November 1919 entered No 12 Dry Dock at Smiths Dock
1 December 1919 a Big Crane on the Dock Wall struck and carried away the topmast. The entire crew were discharged.
5 January 1920 hire by the Admiralty ceased
6 January 1920 handed over by Lieutenant Commander Lowe to the owner’s representative
June 1941 requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as a Cable Ship, name unchanged
July 1941 at Milford Haven fitting out
August 1941 Ty Lieutenant C E Rowland RNR in command
22 December 1941 sailed Milford Haven
January 1942 Commander A Bicker-Caarten RNR Rtd in command
20 October 1942 sailed Hollyhead in convoy HM45 to Milford Haven arriving the next day
14 December 1942 arrived at Gibraltar
18 December 1942 NCXF requested that AQUILLA be sailed for Oran to lay an indicator loop system
28 December 1942 sailed Gibraltar for Oran together with three other ships escorted by HMS’s NASTURTIUM, ALBERNI, BADDECK, PORT ARTHUR, VILLE DE QUEBEC and BARBARIAN
15 April 1943 sailed Oran – source Admiralty War Diary of this date on page 6
18 April 1943 arrived at Oran
2 January 1944 Leading Hand Edward Cecil Knox and Able Seaman Joseph McIntyre both discharged dead – drowned. The former is remembered with pride on the Liverpool Naval Memorial and the later is buried in Plymouth (Weston Mill) Cemetery
May 1946 returned to her owners
17 February 1947 arrived at Larne from Fowey
24 February 1947 arrived at Britol Docks
27 February 1947 sailed Bristol Docks
23 March 1947 arrived at Bristol Docks
26 March 1947 sailed Bristol Docks
25 October 1949 sailed Bristol Docks
1949 owners were purchased by Coast Lines Ltd for £450,000 who then became her Managers
27 November 1953 purchased by Richard Abel & Sons Ltd, Liverpool
28 May 1954 was renamed ALLADALE by her owners
1956 purchased by Fleetwood Sand & Gravel Co, Fleetwood name unchanged
September 1967 broken up at Fleetwood


