Requisitioned Auxiliary – Ariadne Christine

 

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official No:                             129095

Builder:                         Sir J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., North Sands, Sunderland 

Launched:                    9 April 1910

Pennant No:                           Y 3.490  /  Y 8.92

Into Service:                 WW1

Out of service:              1918

Fate:                            1954 broken up

 

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

9 April 1910 launched by Sir J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., North Sands, Sunderland as Yard No: 474 name ARIADNE CHRISTINE for Ariadne Steamship Co Ltd., (G P Sechian, Managers) London

 May 1910 completed

WW1 requisitioned for Admiralty service initally as a Collier and then as a Stores Carrier – name unchanged

6 July 1917 torpedoed and damaged by German submarine UB31 in position 50.08N 03.47W off Start Point while on passage from Manchester to Cherbourg carrying Government Stores. No casualties

31 August 1918 was declared a CTL after hitting a mine (probably) laid by German submarine U75 off the NW point of the Ribachi Peninsula at the entrace to the White Sea

23 August 1919 was purchased by Norwegian interests and was repaired

1920 renamed TRUTH by A/S Sakjelbreds Reden, Kristiansand

1939 purchased by J Teng, G W & A B Grace, Tallin and renamed VAHVA

1940 owners now Cia de Vapores Ltda, Panama and renamed SUERTE

1951 purchased by Trinity Cia de Nav SA, Panama and renamed TRINITY

16 November 1953 arrived Savona for demolition but resold and

March 1954 arrived Vado Ligure for demolition by G Riccardi