Requisitioned Auxiliary – Batoum

 

Batoum

 

Official Number:                       102786

Laid down:

Builder:                               Sir James Laing & Sons, Deptford Yard, Sunderland

Launched:                               29 June 1893

Into Service:                            18 August 1914

Out of service:                         19 June 1917

Fate:                                      19 June 1917 torpedoed and sunk

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

29 June 1893 launched by Sir James Laing & Sons, Deptford Yard, Sunderland as Yard Nr: 526 named BATOUM for Alfred Suart & Co, London

August 1893 completed

23 July 1902 sailed Sumatra with a bulk cargo of benzine for Rotterdam and sailed round the Cape of Good Hope as tankers at that time were not permitted to transit the Suez Canal carrying benzine 

19?? owners became Associated Oil Carriers Ltd (John I Jacobs & Co Ltd., Managers) London – name unchanged

14 November 1909 arrived at London from Port Arthur, Texas with 1 passenger – the Captain’s wife and 1 DBS Captain W H Stewart was the Master

21 July 1914 sailed Newport News for Sheerness

18 August 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an oiler, name unchanged

2 September 1914 at Harwich Police Court Fireman James Keneally appeared charged with damage to Admiralty property, disobeying orders and damaging the ship. On the ships arrival at Harwich the Keneally had not been allowed ashore. He went to the bridge damaging various items. He was sentenced to 14 days imprisonment for disobeying orders and a total of six weeks hard labour for the offences of damage.
18 July 1915 was torpeoded and damaged 2.5 miles S x E of Southwold Lighthouse by UB-17 while on passage from Killinholme to Harwich with the loss of five lives. Four of those lost are recorded with pride on the Tower Hill Memorial and one is buried in Dovercourt (All Saints) CHurchyard. The ship was then lated refloated and repaired
19 June 1917 was torpedoed and sunk by German Submarine U-61 six miles south of Fastnet Rock while on passage from New Orleans to Queenstown with a cargo of oil with the loss of 1 life. The name of the seaman who lost his life is recorded with pride on the Tower Hill Memorial