Requisitioned Auxiliary – Breynton

 

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                      128497

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Wm Gray & Son, West Hartlepool

Launched:                               1 September 1909

Pendant No:                            Y3.383

Signal Letters:                         HPTW

Into Service:                            13 October 1914

Out of service:                         22 September 1933

Fate:                                        Broken up 

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

1 September 1909  launched by Wm Gray & Son, West Hartlepool as Yard Nr 766 named BREYNTON for Breynton Steamship Co Ltd., (Ralph Morel & Co, Managers) Cardiff

4 September 1909 the Lloyds List newspaper reported …

 

4 9 1909 Lloyds List Breynton

 

2 October 1909  register opened at Cardiff as Nr: 15/1909 in the Register Book

9 October 1909 sailed on her trial trip

October 1909  completed

13 October 1909 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard

30 November 1909 sailed from Buenos Ayres Roads

12 March 1910 sailed from Hamburg to Cardiff

15 March 1910 arrived at Cardiff

16 December 1910 arrived at Galveston

13 October 1914 requisitioned for service as a Collier until 11 January 1915

19 November 1914 arrived Stanley, Falkland Islands from Barry carrying Admiralty coal and stores

7 December 1914 and 8 December 1914 at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands supplied the Light Cruiser HMS GLASGOW with bunker coal

 

HMS GLASGOW

HMS GLASGOW

 

8 December 1914 at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands supplied the Light Cruiser HMS BRISTOL with bunker coal

 

HMS BRISTOL

HMS BRISTOL

 

17 December 1914 at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands supplied the Battleship HMS CANOPUS (1897) with 605t of bunker coal

 

HMS Canopus

HMS CANOPUS

 

10 January 1915 sailed from Port William, Falkland Islands              

9 September 1915 served as a Transport carrying sugar until 27 October 1915

28 October 1915  served as a Collier until 24 December 1915

25March 1916 served as a Collier until 1 May 1916

22 July 1916  served as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying hay and oats and was then

temporarily released on 25 September 1916

2 February 1917 served as a Collier until 12 March 1917

13 March 1917  served as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying British hay and oats from the

River Plate area until 9 June 1917

10 June 1917 served as a Collier until 24 August 1917

25 August 1917 served as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying kerosene USA / UK until 18 May 1918

21 November 1917 torpedoed and damaged by U-67 (Kptlt. Hams Nieland) in St George’s Channel on passage from Rosslare to New York as part of Convoy OQ 21 carrying empty barrels and was towed back to Rosslare by HMRTs CARTMEL and STORMCOCK

 

Tug Cartmel

HMRT CARTMEL

 

19 May 1918 served as a Collier until 1 July 1918

2 July 1918 served as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying British hay and oats until 16 November 1918 then served as a collier until 14 February 1919

20 November 1918 sold to Globe Shipping Co Ltd., (Humphries, Cardiff  Ltd, Managers) Cardiff – name unchanged

15 February 1919 served as a Transport carrying wheat until 25 April 1919

3 March 1919 arrived at Monte Video

19 December 1920 Naval Salvage Money distributed to the crews of HMRTs CARTMEL and STORMCOCK for their actions on 21 November 1917

8 February 1924 arrived Bahai Blanca from Marseilles

14 September 1933 the Western Mail Newspaper reported …

 

14 9 33 Western Mail Breynton

 

22 September 1933  arrived on the Clyde for demolition by Douglas & Ramsay.