Requisitioned Auxiliary – Denbighshire

 

DENBIGHSHIRE

 

Official Number:                      166276 

Laid down:

Builder:                                   N V Nederlandsche Scheepsvaart Maatschappij, Amsterdam

Launched:                               29 October 1938

Pennant No:                            B576

Into Service:                           1939

Out of service:                        1946

Fate:                                      Broken up 1969

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: 

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

29 October 1938 launched by N V Nederlandsche Scheepsvaart Maatschappij, Amsterdam as Yard Nr: 269 named DENBIGHSHIRE for Glen Line Ltd., (A Holt & Co, Managers) Liverpool

July 1939 completed

1939 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a fast Fleet Supply Ship – name unchanged

1 July 1940 sailed Colomo independently to Cape Town arriving 12 July 1940

14 July 1940 sailed Cape Town independently to Freetown arriving 22 July 1940

22 July 1940 sailed Freetown independently to the River Clyde arriving 1 August 1940

1941 – 1942 participated in the Substance (July) and Halbard (September) Malta convoys

September 1942 was bombed and set on fire at Malta – spent some months there before making a break for Alexandria

4 May 1943 reported by radio she was being attached by German aircraft at 48.04N 22.14W

1945 served in the British Pacific Fleet Train – hence the “B” Pennant number

1946 returned to her owners and resumed commercial service carrying 16 x 1st class and 2 x Children passengers

7 September 1946 sailed London for South Africa, Hong Kong and Shanghai

20 September 1948 sailed London for Singapore and Hong Kong

27 July 1949 sailed London for Singapore and Hong Kong

5 June 1951 sailed London for Singapore and Hong Kong

18 July 1952 sailed London for Singapore, North Boreno and Hong Kong

December 1967 was transferred to China Mutual Steam Navigation Co (Blue Funnel) and renamed SARPEDON

May 1969 sold for scrap

11 August 1969 arrived at Kaohsiung, Japan for demolition