Requisitioned Auxiliary – Devaney

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official Number:                        119349 

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Scott of Kinghom Ltd., Kinghom

Launched:                               13 August 1906

Pennant No:                            Y.4.74

Into Service:                           7 November 1917

Out of service:                        1919

Fate:                                     Broken up 1954

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

13 August 1906 launched by Scott of Kinghorn Ltd., Kinghorn as Yard Nr: 127 named DEVONIA for Anglo-French Steamship Co Ltd., (Onesimus Dorey & Sons, Gurnsey, Managers), Plymouth

September 1906 completed as a livestock carrier on her owners’ Plymouth – Gurernsey – St Brieuc, Brittany route

7 November 1917 purchased for Admiralty service as a Fleet Messenger, renamed DEVANEY and was used for the carriage of horses and later as a collier

Setember 1919 purchased by David MacBrayne Ltd., Glasgow and renamed LOCHIEL for her owners’ Glasgow – Stornoway service

1936 transferred to Clyde Steamers Ltd., Glasgow – name unchanged

1938 purchased by Guernsey & Alderney Trading Co Ltd., Guernsey and renamed ISLE OF ALDERNEY

May 1940 came under management of Stelp & Leighton’s Crete Shipping Co Ltd., Guernsey name unchanged

June 1940 participated in the evacuation of the Channel Islands. Acquired by the Admiralty and became a Landing Craft Depot Ship based at Lamlash on the Clyde – name unchanged

February 1946 decommissioned and purchased by S N Angelos, Athens and renamed ANNOULA

1946 resold to Cia Nav “Monte Liro” S.A. Panama and renamed MONTE LIRIO

1952 purchased by Cia Bav y de Commercio Dora S.A. Panama – name unchanged 

31 August 1952 leaked and was beached at Port Said

1954 broken up in situ