Requisitioned Auxiliary – Duchess of Argyll





Official Number:                        121333

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton

Launched:                               10 March 1906

Pennant No:                           

Into Service:                           15 February 1915

Out of service:                         1919

Fate:                                      1970 Broken up


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 & WW2  to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:



1 March 1906 the Lloyds List newspaper reported …


1 3 1906 Lloyds List Marchioness of Graham


10 March 1906 launched by Wm. Denny & Bros., Dumbarton as Yard No: 770 but unnamed for the Caledonian Steam Packet Co, Ltd., Glasgow

May 1906 before trials she was named DUCHESS OF ARGYLL

9 May 1906 completed and could carry 1512 passengers on her owners’s Ardrossan to Arran route

15 February 1915 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a cross-Channel troopship. In just over four years made 655 trips, steamed 75,921 miles and carried 326,608 personnel

27 April 1919 arrived Greenock for reconversion for commercial service

29 September 1919 at Prince’s Pier, Greenock Railway Clerk David Johnstone discharged dead from a heart attack

1 July 1923 owners became London, Midland & Scottish Railway Co – name unchanged

20 July 1939  onboard at Campbeltown, Argyll Passenger Harold James McNab discharged dead from natural causes – heart attack

1940 to 1945 remained on the Clyde service but was used by the MoWT as a Troopship Tender when required

12 May 1946 at Kilchattan Bay Fireman John Keogh, Fireman James Kelly and Fireman John Calder each discharged dead by drowning

September 1951 withdrawn from service and laid up at Albert Harbour, Greenock

February 1952 purchased by the Admiralty and was converted into a floating laboratory at Chatham Dockyard, based at Portland for the Admiralty Underwater Experimental Establishment

28 October 1969 sold for scrap

27 January 1970 was towed to Newhaven where she was beached and broken up