Requisitioned Auxiliary – Duke of York


Duke of York

Official Number:                       128318

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast

Launched:                               7 March 1935

Pennant No:                            P 4.400

Into Service:                           1939

Out of service:                         December 1975

Fate:                                      Broken up


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW2 for initial service as a Troopship and was then converted into a LSI (H) for 250 troops and carried 10 Landing Craft


Career Data:


7 March 1935 launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast as Yard Nr: 951 named Duke of York for London, Midland & Scottish Railway Co

4 June 1935 completed

1939 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Troopship – name unchanged

21 May 1941 at Belfast Lough Able Seaman Edward Brewer discharged dead having been accidentally drowned

May 1942 converted into an LSI (H) and was reanmed HMS Duke of Wellington

19 August 1942 Temporary Acting Lieutenant Leslie Breach MID RNVR discharged dead during Operation Jubilee. He is buried in Haslar Naval Cemetery, Gosport in Grave G 10.9

6 June 1944 participated in the Normany Landings. Able Seaman George Lea MID D/JX 362781 killed. He is rememberd with pride on the Plymouth Naval Memorial on Panel 86 column 3

September 1945 decommissioned and name reverted to Duke of York

October 1947 finally returned to commercial service after being refitted

1948 owners restyled as British Transport Commission, Harwich – name unchanged

September 1950 returned to her builders for rebuilding

May 1951 re-entered service with a single funnel

6 May 1953 while inbound to Harwich was in collision with the American Military transport Haiti Victory which resulted in her being severed forward of the bridge and the bow section sinking with the loss of 8 lives. A new bow section was fitted later.

20 July 1963 final arrival at Harwich. Purchased by the Chandris Cruises’ subsidiary Marivic Navigation Corp and was renamed Yor during remodeling work by Smith’s Dock, North Shields

November 1963 sailed for Ambelaki, Greece for full conversion work to be undertaken

15 March 1964 re-entered service as a cruise ship renamed Fantasia



December 1975 arrived Piraeus for demolition by Prodromos Sariktzis

May 1976 demolition begun