Requisitioned Auxiliary – Edward L Doheny

 

edward L Doheny

 

 edward L Doheny

 

Official Number:                     215988

Builder:                                  Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Low Walker

Launched:                              28 August 1913

Pennant No:                           Y 7.203

Into Service:                           WW1

Out of service:                        1918

Fate:                                       1948 broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

20 August 1913 launched by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Low Walker as Yard Nr: 904 named Edward L Doheny for Petroleum Carriers Ltd., Newcastle

22 August 1913 the Jarrow Express newspaper reported …

 

22 8 1913 Jarrow Express Edward J Doheny

 

September 1913 completed

1914 owners became Petroleum Transport Co Inc., Los Angeles – name unchanged

WW1 acquired for Admiralty service as an Oiler – name unchanged

25 April 1915 when on passage from Tampico to Brazil sighted by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS CARNARVON

 

HMS CARNARVON

HMS CARNARVON

 

13 May 1915 sighted by the Armed Merchant cruiser HMS EDINBURGH CASTLE and exchanged signals

 

HMS edinburgh castle

HMS EDINBURGH CASTLE

 

20 February 1918 sailed New York in an escorted convoy with 26 other merchant ships and escorted by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS ARLANZA

25 February 1918 became a stragler in the escorted convoy (see above). HMS ARLANZA returned to escort her to rejoin the convoy

1918 owners became Pan American Petroleum & Transport Co., Los Angeles – name unchanged

1933 owners became Pan American Foreign Corp., Wilmington – name unchanged

8 October 1935 sailed New York

26 January 1941 sailed Philadelphia independently

12 December 1941sailed Charleston, South Carolina independently to Baytown arriving 15 December 1941

17 December 1941 sailed Baytown independently to Philadelphia arriving 24 December 1941 and then onto Galveston arriving 2 January 1942

1943 time chartered to US War Shipping Administration – name unchanged

1948 reported broken up by Franklin Shipwrecking Co., Hillside, New Jersey