Requisitioned Auxiliary – Esturia






Official Number:                     129151

Builder:                                 Armstrong, Whitworth & Co Ltd., Low Walker

Pennant No:                   Y7.213              

Launched:                              3 August 1910

Into Service:                           February 1917

Out of service:                        30 December 1918

Fate:                                      Mined and sunk


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty in WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:


23 August 1910 by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co Ltd., Low Walker as Yard Nr: 826 named Esturia for British Burma Petroleum Co Ltd., London

October 1910 completed

27 May 1913 arrived Sydney, NSW from Adelaide

17 December 1913 sailed Newscastle, NSW for Balik Pappan

11 September 1914 charted by the Royal Australian Navy as an oiler and stores ship for HMAS’s SEAN, HURON and TORRENS

20 December 1915 anchored at Tawao

23 December 1915 at Tawao with HMAS UNA berthed alongside



3 August 1917 after working for the Royal Australian Navy requisitioned for Admiralty service as an oiler, name unchanged under management of Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co Ltd., London

30 December 1918 returned to her owners but remained on charter to Anglo Saxon

10 August 1919 arrived at Suez from Glasgow

3 January 1920 arrived at Port Said from Port Arthur, Texas

18 May 1920 sailed Port Said for Alexandria

25 May 1921 arrived Granton from Suez via London and Hull

9 August 1923 arrived at Suez from St. Louis dur Rhone

1928 purchased by J G Mavris, D C Eleftheriades, C Chrysostamos, P B Diagon, Zade & B Simonowsky (Marvis Bros., Managers) Piraeus and renamed Loukia

1936 owners now J G Mavris, Firuzan Ali Arsan, G M Castanias & P Diagon-Zade, Syra name unchanged

4 March 1937 mined and sank 2 miles off Cape San Sebastian while on passage from Constanta to Barcelona carrying 3,000 tons of petrol. Twenty three crew members were killed, only one survived. Source Sydeny Morning Herald