Requisitioned Auxiliary – Ferncourt




Official Number:                       N/R

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Deutsche Werft A.G. Betrieb Reiherstiegwerft, Hamburg

Launched:                               28 July 1938

Into Service:                            WW2

Out of service:                         WW2

Fate:                                      1964 broken up

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  

One of a group of additional Norwegian-flagged ships which served as Escort Oilers during WW2


Career Data:


28 July 1938 launched by Deutsche Werft A.G. Betrieb Reiherstiegwerft, Hamburg as Yard Nr 208 named FERNCOURT
for Skibs A/S Marine ( Fernley & Astrup, Managers) Oslo

August 1938  completed

12 October 1938 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard steaming eastwards

3 March 1939 sailed Falmouth

25 September 1939 sailed Lisbon independently to Weymouth Bay arriving 29 September 1939

19 December 1939 sailed Halifax in convoy HXF13 with a cargo of crude oil to Dunkirk arriving 30 December 1939

8 January 1940 sailed Dunkirk independently to Trinidad arriving 23 January 1940

23 January 1940 sailed Trinidad independently to New York arriving 5 February 1940

9 April 1940 was on passage from Aruba to Halifax when War broke out in Norway

WW2 fitted as and served as an Escort Oiler, name unchanged

15 March 1941 when under tow in the River Clyde by the tug Warrior – the tug struck a mine and damaged

6 July 1941 sailed Milford Haven to join Convoy OB 343 which departed Liverpool that same day

7 July 1941 hit by 4 bombs and an aerial torpedo near South Bishop which caused major damage with the loss of 2 DEMS gunners lives. She was abandoned but was later reboarded 
by volunteers and with the assistance of the tug SCHELDE which had arrived to assist she was towed to Milford Haven and then onto Swansea
1941 Captain Syveri Birkenes awarded a Commendation – as the Captain was a Norwegian citizen the award was
not published in the London Gazette 
20 July 1944 arrived Swansea for repairs lasting 10 months and re-entered service.
1954  purchased by Ramon Mari-Pino, Panama and renamed AMILCAR
1957 purchased by Daisy Tankers Corp Inc (Ramon Mari-Pino, Manager) Panama and renamed DAISY
20 June 1964 arrived Castellon for demolition by Isaac M. Varela Davalillo