Requisitioned Auxiliary – Forestmoor

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                      129116

Laid down:

Builder:                                   J Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland

Pennant Nr:                             Y3.384

Launched:                               4 June 1910

Into Service:                            16 December 1914

Out of service:                         5 October 1917

Fate:                                      Torpedoed and sunk 5 October 1917

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

4 June 1910 launched by J Blumer & Co., North Dock, Sunderland as Yard Nr: 203 named Forestmoor for Moor Line Ltd (W Runiciman & Co Ltd., Managers) Newcastle

July 1910 completed

23 October 1910 at Albert Docks, Hull Steward Frederick William Wommelsdorf discharged dead – shot

1 October 1914 at Marseilles Captain August Peterson, the ship’s Master, discharged dead from apoplexy

16 December 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier – name unchanged

30 June 1917 and 1 July 1917 at Olna Firth berthed alongside HMS ACHILLES and supplied 1,200 tons of bunker coal

5 October 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB-51 (Ernst Krafft) in the Atlantic 54 miles W x N ¾ N Cap Spartel, Morroco in position 35.57N 07.03W while on passage from Huelva to Dublin with a cargo of copper ore with the loss of 22 lives including that of her Master