Requisitioned Auxiliary – Gaditano

Gaditano

Gaditano 

as SS Barrister

 

Official Number:                       102077 

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesborough

Launched:                               5 November 1892

Into Service:                            1915

Out of service:                         March 1932

Fate:                                      March 1932 sold for scrap

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships purchased by the Admiralty during WW1 for use as a Block Ship but then refitted as an oil storage hulk

Career Data:

 

5 November 1892 launched by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesborough as Yard No: 369 named Barrister for Charente Steamship Co Ltd., (T & J Harrison, Managers) Liverpool

8 November 1892 the Lloyds List newspaper reported –

 

8 11 1892 Lloyds Lisr Barrister

 

February 1893 completed at a cost of £58,373

29 November 1893 sailed from Liverpool for Calcutta, India

30 December 1893 arrived at Calcutta, India from Liverpool

21 December 1895 in collision with an unknown vessel in the English Channel while on passage from London to Calcutta, India

February 1907 ran aground between the Alligator Reef and the Carysfort Shoal while on passage from Liverpool to Mexico via the Florida Straits. Was refloated 7 hours hours later

May 1914 purchased for £6,694 by Anglo-Spanish Coaling Co Ltd., Cardiff and renamed Gaditano

1915 purchased by the Admiralty for use as a Blockship in the River Medway but was not used as such

1916 was refitted as an oil storage hulk at Sheerness – name unchanged

17 January 1918 at Sheerness with HMS CANTERBURY berthed alongside – supplied her with ammunition and 730 tons of FFO

HMS Canterbury 1915

HMS CANTERBURY

31 August 1918 at Sheerness with HMS CANTERBURY berthed alongside – supplied her with ammunition and 450 tons of FFO

2 August 1919 at Sheerness with HMS DRAGON berthed alongside – supplied her with ammunition

15 June 1928 berthed alongside at the Isle of Grain together with RFA’s PHILOL and WAR METHAR

March 1932 was sold for scrap and broken up locally