Requisitioned Auxiliary – Gertie






Official No:                              115333

Builder:                                    Dublin Dockyard, Dublin

Pennant No:                            Y 8.40 / Y 3.494

Launched:                               4 October 1902

Into Service:                            3 December 1914

Out of service:                         1918

Fate:                                        1941 struck a mine and sank


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

4 October 1902 launched by Dublin Dockyard Co. Dublin as Yard Nr: 37 named GERTIE for W E Rowland, Liverpool

8 November 1902 completed

19 March 1903 entered Eastham Docks in ballast

19 November 1903 in fog in the Crosby Channel in the Mersey in collision with the steamer Bessie Barr. Gertie had to return to her berth for repairs. The Bessie Barr had to be grounded to prevent her foundering

2 June 1904 entered Eastham Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal from Pothelli with a cargo of sets

1906 owners became Alfred Rowland, Liverpool – name unchanged

28 October 1906 entered Eastham Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal for Wiggs Works, Birkenhead

26 May 1909 entered Eastham Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal for Weston Point, Liverpool

18 March 1910 passed the Lloyds Signal station on Prawle Point

1911 owners became James Henry Monks (Preston) Ltd., Liverpool – name unchanged

26 February 1914 sailed Manchester Docks in ballast for Fleetwood

3 December 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Stores Carrier – name unchanged

3 March 1915 re-deployed as a collier – name unchanged

1918 returned to her owners – name unchanged

20 May 1918 involved in a collision and sank, crew saved – no further details currently known

26 September 1918 sailed Longhope escorted by HMS TENBY CASTLE

1924 owners now John S Monks Ltd., Liverpool – name unchanged

8 December 1941 struck a British mine and sank 2 miles NE of Tuskar Rock while on passage from Port Talbot to Waterford with a cargo of coal. There was no loss of life

9 December 1941 the Times newspaper reported –

Times 9 12 1941