Requisitioned Auxiliary – Gothland

 

Gothland 

 

Official No:                              62298

Builder:                                   J & G Thomson, Govan

Launched:                               1871

Pennant No:                           

Into Service:                            1915

Out of service:                         1920

Fate:                                      1924 broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to serve as a Blockship but was not used as such and became a Boom Defence Vessel instead

 

Career Data:

10 January 1871 launched by J & G Thomson, Govan as Yard Nr: 115 named Gothland for Leith Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co (D. Currie & Co., Manager) Leith

28 February 1871 completed. Chartered by Cape & Natal Steam Navigation Co. to carry private mail to the Cape of Good Hope. Extra bunkerage and provisions for 20 passengers was added

4 February 1873 arrived at Leith

9 July 1874 off the coast of Norway in thick fog in collision with the brig Ann Potts of Blyth. The brig suffered damage and sank taking with her five of her crew. The Master, the Mate and one member of the Crew jumped onboard the Gothland and another member of her crew was saved by Gothland’s boat. The Master of the Gothland was George Muir.

23 February 1875 arrived at Leith

1900 owners became Union Castle Mail Steam Ship Co. Ltd., (D Currie & Co., Managers) London – name unchanged

1901 transferred to Currie’s Liverpool & Hamburg Steam Ship Co. Ltd., name unchanged

22 October 1915 purchased by the Admiralty for use as a Blockship but this did noit happen and she served as a Boom Defence Vessel instead – name unchanged

25 February 1920 purchased by Claude Langdon Ltd., – name unchanged

1922 purchased by Dampfs. Reederei Friedrich Bremer, Rostock and was renamed Trude Bremer

23 November 1924 arrived Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht for demolition