Requisitioned Auxiliary – Harmattan

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official Number:                    129162

Builder:                                   Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend

Pennant No:                 G 621

Launched:                              30 November 1910

Into Service:                           24 December 1915

Out of service:                        5 May 1917

Fate:                                        Mined and sunk 5 May 1917

                                

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

30 November 1910 launched by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Low Walker Yard, Wallsend as Yard Nr: 838 named Harmattan for J & C Harrison Ltd., London

3 January 1911 registered under the ownership of Charles W Harrison and Charles S Swan

8 July 1912 now owned by Charles W Harrison (64/64 shares)

24 December 1915 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Expeditionary Force Transport – name unchanged – carrying remounts USA & Canada / UK and then Mediterranean MT until …

5 May 1917 struck a mine which had been laid five days earlier by the German submarine UC-37 (Otto Launburg) and sank in the Mediterranean thirty miles off Cape Bon, Tunis while on passage from Avonmouth and Gibraltar to an eastern Mediterranean port carrying a part cargo of Government stores with the loss of thirty six lives