Requisitioned Auxiliary – Isle of Arran

 

Isle of Arran 

 

Official Number:                      99825 

Laid down:

Builder:                                    Thomas B Sneth & Co, Rutherglen

Pennant No:                            PP 556

Launched:                               1892

Into Service:                            1917

Out of service:                         1920

Fate:                                          October 1936 broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 for service as an Auxiliary Minesweeper to take advantage of their shallow draught, high speed and maneuverability

Career Data:

14 May 1892 launched by Thomas B Sneth & Co, Rutherglen as Yard Nr: 284 named Isle of Arran for Wm Buchanan, Glasgow

June 1892 completed as a paddle steamer

30 May 1917 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Auxiliary Minespeeper and commissioned as HMS Isle of Arran

27 March 1920 decommissioned, refitted and returned to her owners as Isle of Arran

October 1936 arrived at Grays, Essex for demolition by T W Ward Ltd.