Requisitioned Auxiliary – Jet

 

 

Jet

 

 

Jet

 

Official Number:                       133551

Laid down:

Builder:                                    Blyth Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co Ltd., Cowpen Quay, Blyth

Pennant no:                            Y 3.953  / B  2610

Launched:                               12 March 1914

Into Service:                            2 August 1914

Out of service:                         1918

Fate:                                      16 March 1951 ran aground and broke up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of a group of additional  ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augument the RFA

Career Data

 

12 March 1914  launched by Blyth Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co Ltd., Cowpen Quay, Blyth as Yard No: 176. Named Aydon for Aydon Steamship Co Ltd., (Ridley, Son & Tully, Managers), Newcastle
 
13 March 1914 the Sunderland Daily Echo newspaper reported …
 
 13 3 1914 Sunderland Daily Echo Aydon
 
 
April 1914 completed
 
30 May 1914 the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer newspaper reported …
 
 
Yorkshire Post 30 5 1914 Aydon
 
2 August 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier – name unchanged – until 18 February 1917
 
18 September 1914 at Cromarty alongside the old 1st Class Cruiser HMS ENDYMION  supplying 407 tons of bunker coal
 
 
HMS Endymion
 
HMS ENDYMION
 
 
21 September 1914 at Cromarty alongside the old 1st Class Cruiser HMS GRAFTON  supplying 450 tons of bunker coal
 
16 November 1914 at Buncrana alongside the old 2nd Class Cruiser HMS VENUS  supplying 455 tons of bunker coal
 
 
HMS VENUS
 
 HMS VENUS
 
 
1 January 1915 at North Shields, River Tyne alongside the Battleship HMS JUPITER  supplying 560 tons of bunker coal
 
3 February 1915 arrived River Tyne
 
17 May 1915 arrived River Tyne and berthed at Wallsend
 
20 September 1917 requisitioned again as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying MT between Portsmouth and France
 
1918 renamed Jet
 
1919 renamed Charity by her owners
 
1919 name reverted to Aydon
 
1920 purchased by Anglo-Polish Steamship Line Ltd., London and renamed Warszawa
 
April 1923 used to try unsuccessfully to land whisky by boat off New Jersey during Prohibition
 
November 1923 ran aground near Gothenburg carrying explosives which were bound for Germany but the Swedish authorities would not permit transhipment
 
1925 purchaed by Manor Line (London) Ltd., (C. Angel & Co., Managers), London and renamed Brompton Manor
 
1930 purchased by Henley Steamship Co Ltd., London – name unchanged
 
1934 purchased by Drakelow Steamship Co Ltd., (P E Bethell & Co., Managers) London – name unchanged
 
17 September 1935 in the English Channel 13 miles east of the Owers Light Vessel the ships Master, Captain Harry A Turner, discharged dead – washed overboard
 
1936 renamed Drakelow by her owners
 
1937 purchased by Stanhope Steamship Co Ltd., (J A Bilmeir & Co., Ltd., Managers) London and renamed Stancliffe
 
1938 purchased by P G Collaropoulos, Piraeus and renamed Navarinon
 
18 March 1938 torpedoed during the Spanish Civil War by the Spanish Submarine General Mola and was beached on fire. Was later towed to Barcelona
 
1938 purchased by Jean A Mylonas, Piraeus and renamed Lena
 
1939 was bombed and sunk at Barcelona
 
ss Lena
 
1939 was bombed and sunk at Barcelona
 
1941 acquired by the Spanish Government and renamed Castillo Moncada
 
1942 purchased by Empresa Nacional Elcano S.A. – name unchanged
 
16 March 1951 while on passage from Aguilas to Pasajes in bad weather carrying a cargo of esparto grass she hit hidden rocks in the shallows near the tip of Railways two miles east of Sagres, ran aground and broke in two making salvage impossible