Requisitioned Auxiliary – John O Scott

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                      122864

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Wood, Skinner & Co Ltd., Bill Quay, Newcastle

Launched:                              1 November 1906

Pennant No:                           Y 7.70

Into Service:                           5 August 1914

Out of service:                        11 September 1918

Fate:                                     11 September 1918 torpedoed & sunk

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

1 November 1906 launched by Wood, Skinner & Co Ltd., Bill Quay, Newcastle as Yard Nr 138 named John O Scott for Scott Steamshipping Co Ltd., Newcastle.

December 1906 completed

1912 purchased by Screw Steamer “Tyne” Co Ltd., (Thomas L Pippet, Manager) Newcastle – name unchanged

5 August 1914  requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Collier – name unchanged – until 1 October 1914

2 October 1914 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport until 9 October 1914

7 January 1915 re-deployed as a Collier until 25 September 1915

26 September 1915 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport until 30 September 1915

1 October 1915 re-deployed as a Collier until 31 January 1918

6 May 1917 purchased by Chr. Salvesen & Co Ltd., Leith

1 September 1918 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport for 1 trip carrying ammunition empties from Le Havre to Newport Monmouthshire until ???

??? re-deployed as a Collier until 18 September 1918

18 September 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German Submarine UC-117 in the Atlantic 9 miles W x N of Trevose Head in position 50.32N 05.16W while on passage from Barry to Dover with a cargo of coal and with the loss of 18 lives

 

Notes:

8 names are listed on the CWGC Debt of Honour website