Requisitioned Auxiliary – John Shaw





Official Number:                     128825

Laid down:

Builder:                                    Short Bros, Pallion Yard, Sunderland

Pennant No:                            Y 3.93

Launched:                               23 November 1912

Into Service:                            8 August 1914

Out of service:                         1918

Fate:                                          Mined & sank 7 January 1956 



Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:


23 November 1912 launched by Wm. Harkness & Sons Ltd., Middlesborough as Yard Nr. 199 named John Shaw for Allen, Adams & Co Middlesborough

January 1913 completed

8 August 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Collier – name unchanged

4 March 1916 off pay voyage until 30 March 1916

1921 sold to Temple Steamship Co Ltd., (Temple, Thomson & Clark, Managers) London – name unchanged

1923 sold to W A Phillips, Cardiff – name unchanged

1935 sold to Werner Hacklin, Pori and renamed Anton H

9 April 1940 captured by German Forces at Bergen while on passage from Malmo to Hull with a cargo of paper. Was passed to Deutsches Reich under management of Leth & Co., Hamburg and renamed Markirch

September 1940 transferred to the Kriegsmarine for service as a Torpedo tender and renamed Admiral Carl Hering

31 March 1942 attacked by Russian submarines ShCh404 and K21 – two torpedoes fired both missed

25 December 1943 at Hammerfest, Norway

April 1945 damaged at Bremerhaven by US Airforce (?)

May 1945 recovered in Norwegian waters

1947 re-acquired by Werner Hacklin, Pori, placed under the Panamanian flag and renamed Nino

1949 sold to Cia de Nav Tuley SA (Carl Tuvikene, Manager) Stockholm and renamed Alvi under the Panamanian flag

7 January 1956 struck a mine and sank in position 55.57N 06.52E while on passage from Soderhamn to Velsen carrying a cargo of cellulose