Requisitioned Auxiliary – Kerry Coast

  

Kerry 1

Kerry 2

 

 

 

Official Number:                   143158

Laid down:                          1918

Builder:                                Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Dundee

Launched:                          18 February 1919

Into Service:                        1939

Out of service:                     1944

Fate:                                  Broken up 1959

 

Background Data:

One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW2 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

1918 laid down as WAR SPEY for the Shipping Controller

18 February 1919 launched by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd., Dundee as Yard Nr: 266 named LADY PATRICIA for British & Irish Steam Packet Co Ltd., London

22 April 1919 completed

1936 owners became British & Irish Steam Packet Co. Dubin – name unchanged

1938 renamed KERRY by her owners

1939 transferred to Coast Lines Ltd., Liverpool and renamed KERRY COAST. Requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Stores Carrier – name unchanged

16 June 1939 passed the Lloyds Signal Station at St Catherine’s Point sailing west

21 June 1939 discharging cargo at F Shed, Bristol City Docks

24 July 1939 arrived at Plymouth from Dublin

19 December 1939 sailed Southend in escorted convoy OA56 until dispersal on 21 December 1939 and then independently to Dublin

27 June 1940 sailed Southend in escorted convoy OA175 until dispersal on 1 July 1940 and then independently to Cork arriving on 1 July 1940

22 July 1940 sailed St Helens Road in convoy CE7 to Southend arriving 24 July 1940

20 August 1940 sailed the Clyde in escorted convoy WN9 to Methil arriving on 23 August 1940

26 August 1940 sailed Methil in convoy MT151 to the River Tyne arriving 26 August 1940

29 August 1940 sailed the River Tyne in convoy FS266 to Southend arriving 31 August 1940

1941 transferred to Burns & Laird Lines Ltd., Glasgow – name unchanged

11 March 1944 sank after a collision in the Mersey while inbound to Liverpool from Dublin. Was raised and repaired

1945 renamed BANGOR BAY by her owners

1946 renamed KERRY by her owners

1948 transferred to British & Irish Steam Packet Co Ltd., Dublin – name unchanged

27 June 1959 arrived Passage West for demolition by Haulbowline Industries Ltd.