Requisitioned Auxiliary – Kheti

 

 KHETI

 

Official Number:                 149644

Laid down:                          

Builder:                                Harland & Wolff, Greenock

Pennant No:                        B541

Launched:                           31 August 1927

Into Service:                        WW2

Out of service:                     WW2

Fate:                                    Foundered 9 October 1967

 

Background Data:

 

One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW2 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

 

Career Data:

31 August 1927 launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Greenock as Yard Nr: 800 GK and named KHETI for James Moss & Co Liverpool

25 October 1927 completed

2 January 1931 arrived at Glasgow Harbour from Alexandria

12 December 1931 sailed from Liverpool for Mersin, Turkey

1934 owners became Moss Hutchison Line Ltd., Liverpool – name unchanged

WW2 requisitioned for Admiralty service – name unchanged. Finally served as an Armament Stores Issuing Ship with the British Fleet Train – hence the B-Pennant Nr.

13 October 1939 sailed Gibraltar in escorted convoy HG3 with food stuffs to Liverpool arriving 21 October 1939. RFA WAR KRISHNA was also part of this convoy

8 November 1939 sailed Liverpool in escorted convoy OB32. This convoy reformed on 11 November 1939 into convoy OG6 to Casablanca

6 September 1940 sailed from Southend in unescorted convoy FN274 together with 31 other ships to Methil arriving 8 September 1940

17 June 1941 sailed from Belfast Lough in unescorted convoy BB35 together with 7 other ships to Milford Haven arriving 19 June 1941

15 March 1945 arrived at Manus Naval Base, Loyalty Islands

9 September 1945 sailed Manus Naval Base, Loyalty Islands

1951 purchased by Mossgiel Steamship Co Ltd., (John Bruce & Co. Ltd., Managers) Glasgow and renamed ALCORA

1958 purchased by Cia Maritima Med Ltd., Lebanon and renamed GAY MED

1964 purchased by Ibrahim Hassan Nahas, Lebanon and renamed MED STAR

9 October 1967 developed leaks while on passage from Malta to Bayonne and foundered 30 miles south of Pantelleria