Requisitioned Auxiliary – Luciston (2)

 

RED CROSS

 

RED CROSS 

 Red Cross

 

Official Number:                      96555

Laid down:                              

Builder:                                  J L Thompson, North Sands, Sunderland

Pennant No:                           E 6802

Launched:                              30 July 1890

Into Service:                           17 April 1915

Out of service:                        24 December 1917

Fate:                                     24 December 1917 torpedoed, damaged & became a total loss


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of several ships requisitioned by the Admiralty for service during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

30 July 1890 launched by J L Thompson, North Sands, Sunderland as Yard Nr: 266 named Red Cross for Rowland & Marwood Steamship Co Ltd., (C Marwood & Co Managers) Whitby

September 1890 completed

30 January 1891 arrived at Suez

1913 purchased by W S Miller & Co Glasgow and renamed Lucincita

17 April 1915 requisitioned for Admiralty service and an Expeditionary Force transport – name unchanged. Used to carry cargos of hay and oats between Southampton and France

1917 renamed Luciston by her owners as a war loss replacement for a vessel of the same name

24 December 1917 torpedoed and damaged by German submarine UC-71 in the English Channel 1½ miles W x S from W x S from Owers Light Vessel while on passage from Southampton to Boulogne carrying Government Stores with the loss of 1 life. She was beached and became a total loss

Notes:

Was one of 11 Company ships lost during WW1