Requisitioned Auxiliary – Lumina 2

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official Number:                       137535 

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Palmer’s Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd., Jarrow

Launched:                               15 August 1916

Pennant No:                    Y 7.249

Into Service:                           12 February 1917

Out of service:                        1918

Fate:                                      Broken up 1 June 1935

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of a group of additional requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

15 August 1916 launched by Palmer’s Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd., Jarrow as Yard Nr: 853 named Lumina for Lumina Steamship Co Ltd (H E Moss & Co., Managers) Liverpool

February 1917 completed

10 February 1917 sailed the River Tyne for Baton Rouge

10 March 1917 berthed at Baton Rouge

12 February 1917 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an oiler – name unchanged

25 July 1917 in a convoy with RFA PETROLEUM at 59°55N 13°22W being escorted by HMS’s KING ELF and LORD LANSDOWN intercepted by HMS MOTAGUA and allowed to proceed

 

hms motagua

HMS MOTAGUA

 

18 August 1918 in a convoy at 53°15N 32°52W being escorted by HMS GLOUCESTERSHIRE

5 June 1922 berthed on the Tyne

9 April 1925 sailed London for San Francisco

1 June 1935 arrived Blyth for demolition by Hughs Bolckow Shipbreaking Co