Requisitioned Auxiliary – Lutterworth



Official Number:                       99169

Pennant No:                    Y 8.24

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Hull

Launched:                               4 March 1891

Into Service:                            12 October 1914

Out of service:                         1919

Fate:                                      March 1933 broken up


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of a group of additional requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:


4 March 1891 launched by Earle’s Co Ltd., Hull as Yard Nr: 343 named Lutterworth for Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway Co. Grimsby

June 1891 completed for her owners’ Continental service to Hamburg with accommodation for 50 x 1st class and a maximum of 360 emigrants

4 February 1892 information from Hamburg to Lloyds List  reported that the ship had grounded at Finkenwaerder and remained fast for several hours

21 December 1892 sailed Grimsby for Hamburg

3 February 1894 arrived at Grimsby from Hamburg

1 August 1897 transferred to the Great Central Railway Co., Grimby – name unchanged

16 February 1901 grounded in the River Elbe

28 February 1901 finally refloated and repaired

15 August 1902 in collision in the River Elbe with the German schooner Emma and repairs cost £500.00

December 1908 was struck in the River Elbe by the German liner Kaiserin August Victoria whilst at anchor in poor visibility

1912 was reboilered by J T Eltringham

12 October 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Stores Carrier – name unchanged

26 February 1915 at Scapa Flow berthed alongside HMS DONEGAL delivering Naval Stores





2 March 1915 at Cromarty Firth berthed alongside HMS CUMBERLAND and later HMS LEVIATHAN delivering Naval Stores to both ships


HMS Cumberland


HMS Leviathan



22 October 1915 returned to her owners

March 1916 was attacked by a submarine 21 miles North of Cap d’Antifer in the English Channel but the torpedo missed her

1919 proceeded to Grimsby for reconditioning and then began a period of repatriation duties between Rotterdam and Harwich after which she returned to normal service but with her passenger capacity reduced to just 12

1 January 1923 owners became London & North Eastern Railway Co – name unchanged.

6 January 1928 whilst inbound from Antwerp was in collision with the Grimsby trawler Dahlia II and sustained slight damage to her starboard quarter. The trawler sank but all her crew were saved

1932 purchased for £2,500 by the British and Irish Steam Packet Co – name unchanged

March 1933 arrived Preston for demolition by T W Ward Ltd.





Sister to Leicester, Nottingham and Staveley