Requisitioned Auxiliary – M.J. Hedley

MJ Hedley



MJ Hedley


Official Number:                    99118

Laid down:                              

Builder:                                   Workman, Clark & Co. Ltd., Belfast

Launched:                              2 September 1891

Pennant No:                           Y 8.89

Into Service:                           27 June 1918

Out of service:                        1918

Fate:                                         Broken up



Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of several ships requisitioned by the Admiralty for service during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:


2 September 1891 launched by Workman, Clark & Co. Ltd., Belfast as Yard Nr: 83 named M J HEDLEY for the M J Hedley Steam Ship Co. Ltd., (J McCully, Manager), Belfast

October 1891 completed

21 May 1892 passed the Mumbles Lighthouse sailing east bound

27 December 1893 arrived at Dublin from Liverpool

25 January 1894 the South Wales Echo newspaper reported …


25 1 1894 South Wales Echo M J Hedley


1894 purchased by Hosken Trevithick, Polkinhorn & Co Ltd., (Henry Trevithick, Manager) Hayle – name unchanged

1 December 1902 at Hayle Able Seaman William Williams discharged dead from natural cuases

12 August 1910 passed Hollyhead

2 March 1912 at sea in the Bristol Channel Able Seaman John Williams discharged dead from Asphyxia due to suffering an epileptic fit

6 May 1912 passed St Annes Head

26 August 1914 arrived at Liverpool from Hayle

1915 Captain William Buckney was Master

21 August 1915 arrived at Bristol from Liverpool

5 November 1915 arrived at Liverpool from Hayle

24 June 1916 sailed Liverpool for Hayle

4 May 1918 at Holyhead Chief Engineer Officer William George Pearn discharged dead from heart disease

5 May 1918 when 9 miles WNW Skerries Lighthouse at 53.39°N 4.52°W when on passage from Runcorn to Cork attacked by gun fire from the German Submarine UB65 (Kapitänleutnant Martin Schelle) and damaged

27 June 1918 requisitioned for Admiralty service – name unchanged and served initially as a Stores Carrier and then as a Decoy Ship

4 October 1918 capsized and sank at Barry Docks whilst coaling but was subsequently raised

1918 purchased by The Calico Printers Association Ltd., (Samuel L Gill, Manager), Manchester – name unchanged

1921 owners now William R Barrett, Swansea – name unchanged

1924 Owners now Joseph Gale, Preston – name unchanged

1st quarter 1926 reported broken up at Sunderland