Requisitioned Auxiliary – Maidan

 

Maidan 12

 

Maidan 12

 

Official Number:                      131421

Laid down:                             Wm. Hamilton & Co, Glen Yard, Port Glasgow

Launched:                              23 January 1912

Pennant No:                           Y 3.1128

Into Service:                           6 August 1914

Out of service:                        1919

Fate:                                     Sank after grounding on a reef 10 June 1923

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of several ships requisitioned by the Admiralty for service during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

23 January 1912 launched by Wm Hamilton & Co., Glen Yard, Port Glasgow as Yard Nr: 231 named Maidan for T & J Brocklebank Ltd., Liverpool

1912 completed

15 November 1912 arrived at Tilbury from Calcutta with 5 passengers. Captain William Peterkin was the Master

10 March 1913 arrived at Tilbury from Calcutta and Malta with 12 passengers. Captain William Peterkin was the Master

6 July 1913 arrived at Tilbury from Calcutta with 12 passengers. Captain William Peterkin was the Master

2 December 1913 sailed Liverpool for Calcutta with 13 passengers

28 February 1914 arrived at Tilbury from Calcutta and Plymouth with 35 passengers. Captain William Peterkin was the Master

2 April 1914 sailed Liverpool for Calcutta  with 7 passengers

6 August 1914 requisitioned for service as an Expeditionary Force Transport until 28 July 1916

1 November 1914 sailed Southampton with two of the first Territorial Infantry Battalions to be sent to Trace – the Liverpool Scottish Regiment and the Queen’s Westminster Rifles – embarked

3 November 1914 troops disembarked at Le Havre

1916 deployed as a Collier and was then discharged after a single voyage charter

2 August 1917 sailed Sydney, Cape Breton in a convoy with six other ships. USS Desmoines was the convoy escort

4 August 1917 at 46°3N 53°2W boarded by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS VICTORIAN

amcVictorian

Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS VICTORIAN

28 October 1917 sighted by HMS PERTH who was on the Perim patrol

2 January 1918 when on passage from Colombo sighted by HMS CLIO who was on the Perim patrol

25 July 1918 sighted by HMS PERTH who was on the Perim patrol

11 October 1918 arrived at Liverpool from Bombay with 4 passengers. Captain H C Hart was the Master

1919 re-engined

4 April 1919 sailed Middlesborough for Calcutta with 10 passengers. Captain H C Hart was the Master

30 June 1919 arrived at Hull from Calcutta and Port Said with 25 passengers.  Captain H C Hart was the Master

12 August 1919 sailed Tilbury for Port Said, Suez, Colombo, Madras and Calcutta with 12 passengers. Captain H C Hart was the Master

6 April 1920 arrived at Tilbury from Calcutta with 13 passengers. Captain George C Douglas was the Master

Captain G C Douglas non RFA

Captain George C Douglas

9 June 1920 sailed Tilbury for Colombo, Madras and Calcutta with 7 passengers. Captain George C Douglas was the Master

11 November 1920 sailed Hull for Calcuttawith 7 passengers. Captain George C Douglas was the Master

18 February 1921 arrived at Dundee from Calcutta with 10 passengers. Captain George C Douglas was the Master

24 December 1921 sailed Liverpool for Calcutta with 3 passengers. Captain N J Breen was the Master

21 May 1923 sailed Calcutta with 100 crew and 7 passengers embarked for a voyage to the UK

7 June 1923 arrived Port Sudan

9 June 1923 sailed Port Sudan

10 June 1923 ran aground on a reef on Zabargad Island (formerly called St John’s Island) in the Red Sea at 0139 hrs in the dark. By 1100 hrs the majority of the Crew and the 7 passengers were landed on the Island and were rescued later that afternoon by the Bibby Line’s ss WARWICKSHIRE, to be joined shortly afterwards by the remainder of the Crew including the Master. At 1910 hrs she slipped off the reef into deep water

 

Notes:

By early 1918 only 65 of the original 1,000 men of the Liverpool Scottish Regiment were still serving with the Regiment in France as the remainder had been either killed or wounded. These men were known as The Maidaners. In 1964 a Reunion was held and at that time a silver salver – known as the Maidan Plate – was presented to the Regiment to commemorate their historic journey in November 1914