Requisitioned Auxiliary – Mendocino

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official Number:                     140380

Laid down:                              

Builder:                                    Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland

Launched:                               22 January 1917

Pennant No:                            Y 7.166

Into Service:                             9 January 1918

Out of service:                          WW1

Fate:                                           Wrecked and broken up August 1946

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of several ships requisitioned by the Admiralty for service during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

22 January 1917 launched by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd, Deptford as Yard Nr: 661 named Mendocino for the Shipping Controller under the management of H E Moss & Co., Liverpool (as Nominees)

2 November 1917 completed

9 January 1918 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an oiler

22 March 1918 in convoy from the New York to England at 40°33’N 61°00’W being escorted by HMS DUKE OF EDINBURGH

June 1919 owners became A/S Tankfart V (W Wilhelmsen, Manager), Tonsberg – name unchanged

1934 owners now Wilhelm Wilhelmsen, Tonsberg – name unchanged

 12 August 1935 purchased by A/S Viking (Lundegaard & Sommer, Managers) Farsund – name unchanged

October 1939 requisitioned by German Kriegsmarine and renamed Olschiff 1

21 August 1944 scuttled on the River Seine near Rouen

12 April 1946 wreck was refloated

August 1946 was beach at Hennouville and broken up