Requisitioned Auxiliary – Neebing

Neebing 01

 

 

Neebing 01

 

Official Number:                      118618

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Armstrong, Whitworth & Co, Low Walker-on-Tyne

Pennant No:                           Y 3.2178

Launched:                              27 July 1903

Into Service:                           11 December 1917

Out of service:                        11 March 1919

Fate:                                     30 August 1942 torpedoed and sunk

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

27 July 1903 launched by Armstrong, Whitword & Co., Low Walker-on-Tyne as Yard No: 745 named Neebing for G T Marks, Toronto

August 1903 completed

1906 sold to Canadian North West Steamship Co Ltd., Toronto – name unchanged

1915 sold to Swift Steamship Co Ltd., (Hessler & Co., Managers) West Hartlepool – name unchanged

6 April 1917 sailed in a convoy of colliers from St Helens towards Caen Roads protected by HMS’s SAPPER, ROSE, PUFFIN and GOZO 

11 December 1917 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Transport with the Commericlal Branch on a Norwegian service until 15 April 1918

16 April 1918 served as a collier until 11 March 1919

1919 sold to Silverdale Steamship Co Ltd., (Stephen Jones, Manager, Cardiff – name unchanged

1923 sold to Arcos Steamship Co Ltd., London who were acting for the Soviet Government – name unchanged

1925 sold to Sovtgorflot, Odessa and renamed TOMP

1932 renamed JAN TOMP by her owners

30 August 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German Schnellboot S-28 (Oblt. Karl-Frederich Künzel) off Sochi, Töniges off the Caucasian coast in position 43°44N 39°29E when on passage from Poti to Novorossiysk while in a convoy which was protected by MTB’s