Requisitioned Auxiliary – Ravelston

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                         90925

Laid down:

Builder:                                     William Gray & Co Ltd., West Hartlepool

Launched:                                 23 June 1906

Pennant No:                              Y 3.89

Into Service:                               24 August 1914

Out of service:                           1918

Fate:                                         11 May 1959 broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

23 June 1906 launched by William Gray & Co Ltd., West Hartlepool as Yard Nr. 739 named Shirely for Mitre Shipping Co Ltd.,  (Houlder, Middleton & Co., Managers) London

August 1906 completed

24 August 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Collier – name unchanged

16 December 1914 at Sheerness berthed alongside HMS IMPLACABLE supplying her with 130 tons of bunker coal

 

hms iMPLACABLE

HMS IMPLACABLE

 

22 December 1914 at Sheerness berthed alongside HMS IMPLACABLE supplying her with 104 tons of bunker coal

15 June 1916 and 16 June 1916 at Loch Ewe with the collier Lord Stewart alongside HMS MOLDAVIA supplying bunker coal

17 June 1916 at Loch Ewe berthed alongside HMS OROTAVA supplying her with bunker coal

28 July 1916 to 30 July 1916 at Loch Ewe berthed alongside HMS PATUCA supplying her with bunker coal

amcPatuca

HMS PATUCA

20 March 1918 at Scapa Flow berthed alongside HMS ACHILLES supplying her with 824 tons of bunker coal

HMS Achilles

HMS ACHILLES

15 October 1918 sailed Longhope to Peterhead with ss Doretta escorted by HMS TENBY CASTLE

1918 returned to her owners

1940 acquired by MoS and then MoWT and renamed Empire Bond with same Managers

21 January 1942 sailed from Milford Haven in unescorted convoy WP100 to Portsmouth arriving 23 January 1942

28 January 1942 sailed from Milford Haven in escorted convoy WP148 to Portsmouth arriving 30 January 1942

1 February 1942 sailed from Portsmouth in convoy PW105 to Milford Haven arriving 3 February 1942

23 June 1942 sailed from Loch Ewe in escorted convoy WN300 to Methil arriving 25 June 1942

9 February 1943 sailed from Loch Ewe in unescorted convoy WN393 to Methil arriving 11 February 1943

1946 purchased by Valirisias Kattoulas, Piraeus and renamed Prenton

1950 purchased by Argo Maritime Transport Co Ltd., Piraeus and renamed Aghios Dionyssios

1951 purchased by Esperanza Cia de Nav Ltda., Panama and renamed San Denis

11 May 1959 arrived Savona for demolition by Pittaluga