Requisitioned Auxiliary – Reresby

 No Image



 Official Number:                      109022

Laid down:

Builder:                                  C S Swan & Hunter, Wallsend on Tyne

Launched:                               25 November 1897

Pennant No:                            Y 3.758

Into Service:                            26 June 1915

Out of service:                         1918

Fate:                                      19 January 1928 broken up


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:


25 November 1897 launched by C S Swan & Hubter, Wallsend on Tyne as Yard Nr. 226 named Reresby for Denaby & Cadeby Main Collieries Ltd., Hull

April 1898 completed

1904 purchased by Birkdale Steamship Co Ltd., (Chas. Radcliffe & Co, Managers) Cardiff – name unchanged

16 August 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Collier – name unchanged – until 10 March 1916

23 February 1916 at Funchal, Maderia

5 March 1916 at Funchal, Maderia alongside HMS KING ALFRED supplying 940 tons of bunker coal

11 March 1916 re-deployed as a Transport carrying sugar until 13 May 1916

14 May 1916 re-deployed as a Collier to Northern Russia for the Russian Government a/c until 6 December 1916

19 June 1916 at sea at 60.09N 13.08E stopped by HMS ALSATIAN and boarded while on passage from Cardiff to Archangel. Allowed to proceed

7 December 1916 re-deployed as a Collier until 10 August 1917

11 August 1917 re-deployed as a Collier to Northern Russia for the Russian Government a/c until 29 November 1917

30 November 1917  re-deployed as a Collier until 1918

1926 purchaed by Ant. G. Loucas, Andros and renamed Marionga D Thermiotis

19 August 1927 arrived Corcubion with fire damage sustained on passage from CAdiz to Rotterdam with a cargo of wood, grain and oilcake

22 August 1927 was beached

26 August 1927 the fire was extinguished

30 August 1927 was refloated

19 January 1928 arrived at Rotterdam for demolition at Hendrik-ido-Ambacht