Requisitioned Auxiliary – Rievaulx Abbey

 

RIEVAULX ABBEY 

 

Official Number:                      124824

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool

Launched:                               23 December 1907

Pennant No:                            Y 8.47 / Y 2.56

Into Service:                             13 March 1915

Out of service:                         3 September 1916

Fate:                                      struck a mine and sank

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

23 December 1907 launched by Wm. Gray & Co Ltd., West Hartlepool as Yard Nr: 541 named Rievaulx Abbey for Hull & Netherlands Steamship Co Ltd., (James H N Ringrose, Manager), Hull

April 1908 completed. Carried 44 x 1st Class, 28 x 2nd Class and 44 Steerage Class passengers

1 July 1908 sailed Riverside Quay, Hull for Rotterdam

24 April 1909 berthed at Hull from Rotterdam with a general cargo

23 October 1909 berthed at Hull from Rotterdam with a general cargo

26 October 1909 at Hull Quarter Sessions Cook John William Good was convicted of stealing a metal watch and gold Albert from the cabin of Chief Engineer Officer George Binks. He was sentenced to six weeks imprisonment

1 October 1911 in the North Sea rescued the crew of the Lowestoft fishing vessel Hope

28 October 1911 H.M. The King awarded the Sea Gallantry Medal in Silver to 2nd Mate George E Johnson and Seamen Joseph R Markam, John W Hill, Edward J Totham and Thomas McKessack for the rescue of the crew of the Lowestoft fishing vessel Hope

11 January 1912 at Hull Town Hall a presentation was made to the ships Master – Captain Alfred Brett, the 2nd Mate George E Johnson and Seaman Joseph R Markam, John W Hill, Edward J Totham and Thomas McKessack by the Mayor (Mr T C Taylor) on behalf of the Board of Trade each of whom had been involved in the rescue of the crew of the Fishing Vessel Hope. The Master was presented with a pair of Silver Jugs suitably inscribed, the Second Mate received a binocular and each of the four seamen received £3. The ships owners had already given £5 to each man.

13 March 1915 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a stores carrier – name unchanged – until 29 May 1915

19 March 1915 sailed Hull loaded with coal. When off Flamborough was found to be leaking badly and the crew took to the life boats landing at Immingham. The ship was towed into Hull

16 April 1915 at Alexandrovsk berthed alongside HMS JUPITER

17 April 1915 supplied Naval stores to HMS JUPITER

30 May 1915 re-deployed as a Expeditionary Force Transport until 26 August 1915

27 August 1915 re-deployed as an Armaments Carrier – name unchanged – until 27 November 1915

24 November 1915 at 58.7N 10.3W boarded by HMS CHANGUINOLA and allowed to proceed the sighted by HMS MANTURA an Armed Merchant Cruiser

28 November 1915 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport until 14 December 1915

15 December 1915 re-deployed as an Ammunition Carrier until 21 January 1916

3 September 1916 struck a mine at 53°30′40″N 0°17′30″E and sank 0.75 miles ENE of the Rosse Spit Buoy in the River Humber while on passage from Rotterdam to Hull with the loss of two lives. The mine had been laid by the German submarine UC-10 on 20 August 1916

 

Notes:

 

Was one of four sister ships the others being Jervaulx Abbey, Kirham Abbey and Whitby Abbey