Requisitioned Auxiliary – San Valerio




Official Number:                      135301

Builder:                                    Palmer’s Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd., Hebburn on Tyne

Launched:                               14 November 1913

Pennant No:                            Y7.43

Into Service:                            1942

Out of service:                         1945

Fate:                                        returned to her owners



Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 & WW2 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:


14 November 1913 launched at Palmer’s Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd., Hebburn as Yard Nr: 830 named San Valerio for Eagle Oil Transport Co Ltd., London

15 November 1913 the Newcastle Journal newspaper reported …


15 11 1913 Newcastle Journal San Valerio



From: –  Geoff Pringle at


December 1913 completed

27 May 1914 at Tuxpam, Mexico 1st Mate Phillip Foster Elliott, Carpenter Henry Charles Cousins, Bosun William Sheaff, Able Seaman Charles Cannell, Able Seaman Werner Jarvinen and Fireman Marcus Thomas Stanthorne all discharged dead from asphyxiation

14 September 1914 requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as an oiler – name unchanged – at a rate of £4,338 for the first six months then at £4,579 thereafter – until 23 February 1916

24 June 1916 re-deployed as an oiler

17 August 1916 at 59°05N 08°07W intercepted by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS MANTUA while on passage from Sabine to Kirwall – allowed to proceed

25 December 1916 at 59°00N 08°00W boarded by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS AVENGER. Checked and allowed to proceed on her voyage from Port Arthur to Kirkwall

17 March 1917 at 59°03N 14°00W intercepted by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS ARLANZA. The sea was to rough to board and thus she was allowed to continue on her voyage from Sabine to Kirkwall

12 November 1919 at Plymouth Stewardess Florence Emily Luya discharged dead from malaria

1 September 1922 at Puerto Mexico

8 October 1923 sailed from Buenos Ayres for San Pedro

31 March 1924 sailed Avonmouth for Tampico

26 June 1924 sailed Monte Video

7 August 1925 sailed Tampico for Key West and Montreal

1 September 1925 at Tampico

21 June 1927 berthed at Manchester from Tampico with five passengers. The ships Master was Captain J B Sullivan

28 June 1927 sailed Avonmouth to Tampico, Mexico with five passengers

13 October 1927 berthed at Avonmouth from Tampico, Mexico with one DBS

19 May 1928 berthed at Avonmouth from Tampico, Mexico with six passengers

12 September 1928 berthed at Avonmouth

11 December 1928 berthed at Liverpool from Aruba with one DBS. The ship’s Master was Captain E S Fields 

12 April 1929 sailed from Eastham, Merseyside for Tampico, Mexico

20 May 1929 berthed at Avonmouth from Tampico, Mexico with four passengers. The ship’s Master was Captain D K Blyth

1930 owners became Eagle Oil & Shipping Co Ltd., London name unchanged

7 February 1930 berthed at London from Puerto Mexico with two DBS. The ship’s Master was Captain D K Blyth

7 September 1931 laid up at Falmouth

6 February 1932 sailed Falmouth to Puerto Mexico with one passenger. The ship’s Master was Captain R Baldwin

11 May 1933 sailed from Panama to Southampton

22 July 1933 berthed at Avonmouth from Minatitlan, Mexico with three passengers

23 December 1933 arrived at Hull from Tampico

17 January 1934 sailed Falmouth to Tampico with two passengers

22 August 1934 at Valparaiso Able Seaman Edward Pratt discharged dead from suspected yellow fever

24 August 1934 at Valparaiso – ship in quarantine with two of the crew in hospital suffering from yellow fever

4 April 1935 sailed from Rio de Janerio for Aruba

10 August 1935 sailed from Tampico

18 September 1935 sailed from Falmouth

3 March 1936 sailed from Tampico for Thameshaven

1936 purchased by Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co Ltd., London name unchanged for service as a depot ship, initially based at Dakar and then on the Gareloch

5 February 1938 at Dakar and described as a storage hulk

12 February 1938  at Dakar and still described as a storage hulk

21 April 1938 at Dakar 

16 June 1939 sailed Dakar

28 June 1939 radioed she was 500 miles west of Niton on passage to Southampton

8 July 1939 radioed she was 20 miles north west of Lands End on passage to the Gareloch

1942 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an oiler and was refitted for ocean service on the Holy Loch, name unchanged

2 October 1942 sailed New York independently to Lake Charles arriving 11 October 1942

12 October 1942 sailed Lake Charles independently to Baltimore arriving 21 October 1942

27 October 1942 sailed Baltimore independently to Curaçao arriving 5 November 1942

6 November 1942 sailed Curaçao independently to Cristobal arriving 10 November 1942

8 December 1942 sailed the Clyde independently to Loch Ewe arriving 10 December 1942

11 December 1942 sailed Loch Ewe in unescorted convoy WN371 to Methil arriving 13 December 1942

13 December 1942 sailed Methil in unescorted convoy FS985 to the River Tyne arriving the next day for a long refit

13 May 1943 sailed the River Tyne joining unescorted convoy FN1018 from Southend to Methil arriving at Methil the same day

14 May 1943 sailed Methil to Loch Ewe arriving the next day and then onto Londonderry independently arriving 17 May 1943

29 May 1943 sailed Londonderry joining escorted convoy ONS9 to Halifax arriving 9 June 1943. Acted as an Escort Oiler during this convoy

9 June 1943 sailed Halifax in unescorted convoy XB57A to Boston arriving on 11 June 1943

11 June 1943 sailed Boston independently via the Cape Cod Canal to New York arriving 14 June 1943

21 June 1943 sailed New York independently

30 June 1943 sailed Boston in unescorted convoy BX60 to Halifax arriving 2 July 1943

8 July 1943 sailed Halifax in escorted convoy SC136 to Loch Ewe arriving 23 July 1943. Acted as one of the four Escort Oilers during this convoy

23 July 1943 sailed Loch Ewe in unescorted convoy WN458 to Invergordon arriving 25 July 1943

29 July 1943 sailed Methil in unescorted convoy EN262 to Oban arriving 31 July 1943

6 August 1943 sailed Liverpool in escorted convoy ONS15 to Halifax arriving 21 August 1943. Acted as one of the hree Escort Oilers during this convoy

30 August 1943 sailed Boston in unescorted convoy BX71 to Halifax arriving 1 September 1943

12 December 1943 sailed Southend in unescorted convoy FN1203 to Methil arriving 14 December 1943

14 December 1943 sailed Methil in unescorted convoy EN319 to Loch Ewe arriving 15 December 1943

16 December 1943 sailed from Liverpool in escorted convoy ONS25 to Halifax arrving 3 January 1944

14 January 1944 sailed from Halifax in escorted convoy SC151 to Liverpool arriving on 31 January 1944. Acted as one of the five Escort Oilers during this convoy. Also carried 60 depth charges to resupply the escorts

1 February 1944 at Royal Naval Fuel Depot, Lisahally discharging her cargo of FFO ashore and received diesel oil as bunkers

13 March 1945 on passage from Aruba to Norfolk

22 April 1945 on passage from Aruba to New York

1945 returned to her owners, name unchanged

1946 renamed Kuphus by her owners

1947 transferred to Shell Co of Gibraltar Ltd., Gibraltar for service as an oil storage hulk at Gibraltar, name unchanged

30 May 1953 arrived Sunderland in tow for demolition by Thomas Young & Sons Ltd.