Requisitioned Auxiliary – Sportsman

 

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                      133650

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ardrossan

Launched:                              26 May 1914

Pennant No:                           Y 8.79

Into Service:                            15 March 1918

Out of service:                         9 February 1919

Fate:                                      Broken Up 2 February 1956

 

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

26 May 1914 launched by Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Ardrossan as Yard Nr: 257 named Sportsman for North British Shipowners Ltd., Aberdeen

27 May 1914 the Scotsman newspaper reported …

 

27 5 1914 The Scotsman Sportsman

 

June 1914 completed

1917 purchased by Albert Chester, Aberdeen – name unchanged

15 March 1918 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Stores Carrier – name unchanged

17 April 1918 sailed Kirkwall being escorted by HMS TENBY CASTLE

20 April 1918 sailing to Lerwick in convoy escorted by HMS’s TENBY CASTLE, SAXON and EDWARD WILLIAMS

9 February 1919 returned to her owners

1919 purchased by Gower Shipping Co Ltd., Aberdeen – name unchanged

1923 purchased by Hatherleigh Shipping Co Ltd., Aberdeen – name unchanged

1925 purchased by J Stewart & Co Glasgow and renamed Yewhill

1935 owners became J Stewart & Co Shipping Ltd., Glasgow – name unchanged

1937 owners became Albert Chester, Glasgow and renamed Southport

1940 purchased by Geo. W Grace & Co Ltd., Sunderland – name unchanged

1946 purchased by Ribble Shipping Co Ltd., Glasgow – name unchanged

1948 purchased by Park Shipping Co Ltd., Glasgow

23 November 1955 in collision in Gravesend Reach with the Trinity House tender Ready while on passage from Antwerp to London with a cargo of corn and sank

29 November 1955 was raised and beached at Grays where extensive damage was revealed

2 February 1956 arrived at T W Ward Ltd., Grays, Essex for demolition