Requisitioned Auxiliary – Thoroy

 

 

THOROY

 

Official Number:                    102125

Pennant No:                          

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Sir W G Armstrong, Mitchell & Co Ltd., Low Walker

Launched:                             25 October 1893

Into Service:                          WW1

Out of service:                       WW!

Fate:                                       Broken up 1953

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

25 October 1893 launched by Sir W G Armstrong, Mitchell & Co Ltd., Low Walker as Yard Nr: 608 named SNOWFLAKE for Bear Creek Oil & Shipping Co Ltd., (C T Bowring & Co Ltd., Managers) Liverpool

December 1893 completed

1913 purchased by Soc. Anon d’Armament d’Industrie & de Commerce, Antwerp and renamed KREMLIN

1914 to 1918 aquired for Admiralty service as an Oiler – name unchanged 

1918 returned to her owners – name unchanged

1922 purchased by Hvalfanger A/S Vestfold (J Rasmussen & A Lange, Mangers) Sandefjord and renamed VELLOY

1923 Managers became J Rasmussen & CO., Sandefjord – name unchanged

24 August 1925 purchased by Bryde & Dahls Hvalfangerselskap, A/S Sandefjord and renamed THOROY. Served as an Auxiliary Cooker and tanker, South Georgia

1933 Managers became A/S Thor Dahl, Sandefjord – name unchanged

3 April 1940 sailed Aruba

9 April 1940 was enroute from Aruba to Halifax when war broke out in Norway – arrived Halifax 14 April 1940

1 May 1940 sailed Halifax independently under Nortaship Auspices as part of the Free Norwegian Fleet

13 May 1940 arrived Reykjavik

3 January 1941 arrived Avonmouth

17 January 1941 hit and damaged by a bomb during an air raid on Avonmouth

6 March 1941 sailed Avonmouth after repairs

8 April 1947 purchased by Cia Panamena de Nav. Santa Maria SA (Laurent Reboul & Gabriel Courteaux, Managers) Panama and renamed ANNE DE FRANCE

12 January 1953 arrived Rosyth for demolition by Metal Industries Ltd.,

13 January 1953 demolition commenced