Requisitioned Auxiliary – Trelawny

Trewlawny

 

Official Number:                     122653

Pennant No:                            Y 3.278 / Y 8.96

Laid down:

Builder:                                    Readhead, South Shields 

Launched:                               15 December 1906

Into Service:                            1914

Out of service:                         27 November 1918

Fate:                                          Sank 15 July 1926

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: –

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

15 December 1906 launched by Readhead, South Shields as Yard Nr: 398 named Trelawny for Hain Steamship Co Ltd., St Ives

17 December 1906 the Shields Daily News newspaper reported …

 

17 12 1906 Shields Daily News Telawny

 

February 1907 completed

1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier, name unchanged

17 November 1914 arrived at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands and berthed alongside HMS CANOPUS . Supplied 1050 tons of bunker coal

18 November 1914 cast off from HMS CANOPUS

7 December 1914 at Port William, Falkland Islands alongside HMS CARNARVON supplying bunker coal

8 December 1914 cast off from HMS CARNARVON and berthed alongside HMS CANOPUS supplying 754 tons of bunker coal. Moved berth to alongside HMS INVINCIBLE and commenced to supply bunker coal. The enemy was sighted and the collier Trelawny was cast off and HMS INVINCIBLE sailed to attack the enemy – to become known as the Battle of the Falkland Islands

9 December 1914 at the Falkland Islands alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS MACEDONIA  

12 December 1914 at Port William, Falkland Islands alongside HMS INFLEXIBLE supplying water

14 November 1915 at Hull Boatswain & Lamp Trimmer John Issac Davies discharged dead having drowned

29 February 1916 at Brindisi alongside HMS TOPAZE supplying 150 tons of bunker coal and naval stores. Also supplied naval stores to HMS LIVERPOOL

10 November 1917 at Tongoi Bay alongside HMS AVOCA supplying 424 tons of bunker coal

23 August 1918 became a stores carrier, name unchanged

27 November 1918 returned to her owners, name unchanged

11 May 1920 at the Municipal Hospital, San Nicholas Steward Wallis Norman Atkinson discharged dead from natural causes

15 July 1926 sank after a collision with ss Gaelic Prince in position 48.53N 17.42W while on passage from Rotterdam to Hampton Roads in ballast