Requisitioned Auxiliary – Trinidadian


No Image





Previous Name                        Cadagua,  Augusta

Subsequent Name                   Stanfield

Official Number:                       132724

Pennant No                             Y7.224

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Armstrong Mitchell & Co Ltd., Low Walker

Launched:                               20 September 1892

Into Service:                            WW1

Out of service:                         WW1

Fate:                                      Broken up 4q 1939



Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:  One of a group additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:

20 September 1892 launched by Armstrong Mitchell & Co Ltd., Low Walker as Yard Nr: 600 named Cadagua for Fourcade & Gurtubay, Bilbao

21 September 1892 the Shields Daily Gazette reported …


21 9 1892 Shields Daily Gazette Cadagua


October 1892 completed

1907 purchased by Rederialtieb Banck, Manager) and renamed Augusta

1912 purchased by Lane & MacAndrew Ltd., London and renamed Trinidadian

25 July 1912 berthed on the Union Oil Wharf, Philadelphia. A fire broke out on the wharf which spread to the ship. The ship caught fire and sank.

Trinidadian 01


9 August 1912 the Shields Daily News reported –


Shields Daily News 9 8 12


16 April 1913 at sea Sailor Harold Palmer discharged dead having drowned

1914 owners Trinidadian Co Ltd., Glasgow name unchanged

22 April 1914 at Tampico received stores from HMS HERMIONE

HMS Hermoine



23 April 1914 at Tampico received 219 French and American refugees from HMS HERMIONE and sailed under the White Ensign and a Guard of Marines. Later the same day the ship was chartered by the United States Navy to take the refugees to Galveston. The Guard and White Ensign returned to HMS HERMIONE

WW1 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Oiler, name unchanged

20 December 1917 joined convoy to the UK escorted by HMS ROXBURGH

HMS Roxburgh



21 August 1918 in convoy escorted by HMS GLOUCESTERSHIRE (an Armed Merchant Cruiser) suffered engine failure – rejoined the convoy some 30 minutes later

24 August 1918 left convoy off Rathlin Island

1930 owners now Gulf Refining Co, Port Arthur, Texas name unchanged

1937 purchase by Stanhope Steamship Co Ltd (J A Billmeir & Co Ltd., Managers), London and renamed Stanfield

4q 1939 reported broken up at Genoa