RFA C625





Previous name:
Subsequent name: 

Official Number:                   169831                                                        

Class:                                     Oil Fuel Lighter

Pennant No:                           X05

Laid down:
Builder:                                    Yarwood, Northwich
Launched:                               7 January 1944 
Into Service:                            April 1944
Out of service:                        17 September 1963
Fate:                                         Sold out of service


Items of historic interest involving this ship: –


Background Data:   Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft and many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department under the Director of Stores (Navy) C numbers were allocated to craft such as dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs of which a number were registered as RFA’s and wore the ‘green stripe’ that indicated the Naval Stores Department


7 January 1944 launched by  W. J. Yarwood & Sons (1938) Ltd, Northwich as Yard Nr 726 named  C625 for the Naval Stores Department

1944 completed

6 March 1945 Captain Robert Smith RFA appointed Master until 21 February 1946. Had previously been the Master of RFA C614

30 April 1946 Captain Roy E Joslin RFA appointed as Master. He had previously been Master if RFA C85

1 May 1946 Acting Chief Engineer Officer Guy Barnett-Smith RFA appointed until 24 June 1946

20 May 1946 Captain Frederick W Bowley RFA appointed as Master. He had previously been the Master of RFA C633

17 September 1963 sold